SUMMARY: Under the direct Supervision of the Vice President / Chief Operating Officer, the Marine Superintendent directs and coordinates the operations of Seafix Inc. in a manner that will optimize the company’s market share and savings, improve the efficiency, help achieve the missions, goals and objectives and results in outstanding customer service.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Other duties may be assigned).
- Administer the affairs of the company in accordance with organizational policies.
- Promote effective communication on all levels of the organization.
- Contribute to the strong credibility of the organization and enhance the awareness of the organization’s activities through positive relationships with the community.
- Participates in the annual budgetary preparations; researches budget needs; compiles budget data.
- Responsible for the day to day operational management of the organization and monitoring performance.
- Ensure the health and safety is complied with.
- Ensure that employees conform to high standard of service.
- Assures company needs are identified and programs initiated.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Support SEAFIX in providing an effective, confidential ship repair support services to its customers while maintaining a ‘Best Value’ approach to the service.
- Work within and cultivate a team environment, ensuring that Ship Repair and Shop personnel are aware of their responsibilities and are able to provide a high level of customer service.
- Assist senior management in formulating operational policies and procedures; evaluate efficiency methods; compile special reports and prepare recommendations for management evaluation and action.
- Conduct staff meetings to discuss operational problems and explain procedural changes; investigate, consider and resolve personnel operation problems or complaints in conjunction with HR protocols and corporate policies.
- Be proactive in securing additional business and identifying and implementing cost savings.
- Determine work procedures, prepare work schedules and expedite workflow; assign duties and examine work for quality and quantity. Approve overtime work, prepare written response to inquiries concerning operational matters.
- Interpret, implements and enforces compliance with policies, procedures and safety regulations; ensure good Public Relations and working relationships with principals, customers, vendors and port authorities.
- Ability and willingness to work any shift (including overtime) during a 24-hour period and on weekends and holidays.
- Local and international travel to visit customers, branch offices and sub-agents
- Communicates effectively with customers and committed to be service oriented.
- Ensures proper and fair treatment of Ship Repair and Shop personnel.
- Communicates effectively with all SEAFIX departments.
- Utilizes management tools to effectively monitor / track equipment throughout the shop.
- Monitors transportation industry practice and market and provides management with market share assessment reports.
- Monitors preventive maintenance program to ensure all company equipment are in safe and good working condition.
- Conducts weekly “tool-box” meetings with all personnel to reinforce performance / productivity levels, customer service standards, safe working practice, and code of conduct and equipment inspections.
- Manages assigned Department to comply with customer service quality standards and established financial performance objectives.
- Addresses all service related issues and recommends corrective action.
- Continually manages daily tracking operations and evaluates operational work flow to ensure continued improvement.
- Assists with the recruitment and selection process to maintain adequate personnel levels to effectively meet both financial objectives as well as customer service standards expectations.
- Reviews and approves all Guam Ship Repair and Shop personnel’s time sheets & overtime reports
- Conducts 90 days induction period and annual employee appraisals.
- Conducts monthly inventory of equipment in Shop
- Notify the Vice President / Chief Operating Officer of any personnel issue, i.e. tardiness, absenteeism, personality conflict or erratic behavior of Staff.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or COMPETENCIES:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year College or university; or minimum 5 continues year’s related experience with multinational company.
- Proven ability in providing leadership in a complex environment.
- Proven skills in strategic planning, organization, coordination and management.
- Capacity to produce and deliver quality results and ensure the effective use of resources.
- Ability to manage a number of concurrent activities.
- Proven skills in managing regular contracts with diverse groups of providers.
SUPERVISORY REQUIREMENTS: In the absence of the Vice President / Chief Operations Officer and in conjunction with departmental Managers will coordinate to ensure smooth operations at all times.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence; ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to write in accordance with the prescribed style and format.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, groups, Principles and/or customers.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form; Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to define problems, collects data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Must possess a valid Guam Driver’s
- Hazardous Transportation or HAZWOPER certification
- Must be able to obtain Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC) and DBIDS Credential
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide range of people.
- Functional reading, writing and math skills.
- Must be computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Office Programs (i.e. Excel, Word, Outlook, Power Point, etc.)
- Understands & follows Guam Motor Vehicle Laws.
- Demonstrates ability to work in a team environment.
- Understanding and carrying out verbal and written instructions.
- Functional reading, writing and math skills.
- Maintaining working relations with staff and public.
- Recognizing and maintaining strict confidentiality of work material.
- Working independently in the absence of supervision.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
COMMENTS: This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties as may be required by Chief Operations Officer / Vice President, or President / Chief Executive Officer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Seafix, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.