Nature of work in this class:
Primary and directly responsible for all kitchen functions including food purchasing, preparation and maintenance of quality standards, sanitation and cleanliness, training of employees in regards to food specifications of cooking, preparation, plate presentation, portion and cost control.
Focus Words for position: Training & Development, Communicate, Supervision, Control
Listed below are the duties and responsibilities of the position:
- Ensures that all food products are consistently prepared and served according to approved recipes, portioning, cooking, serving standards and plate specifications.
- Conducts orientation sessions for newly hired employee(s) covering all kitchen operations and kitchen policies and procedures.
- Assumes management duties and responsibilities regarding opening and closing requirements, policies, and procedures are adhered to.
- Flexible when needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, reports and schedules in an organized and timely manner.
- Ensure that all kitchen equipment are kept clean and excellent working condition through inspections and by following the restaurants preventive maintenance program.
- Work with the general manager and restaurant manager(s) to plan and price special menu items. Establish portion sizes and prepare standard recipe cards for all new and special menu items.
- Ensure that all products are ordered according to pre-determined product specifications and received in correct unit count and conditions.
- Control food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from appraisals are followed and completed on a timely manner.
- Schedule labor as required by anticipated business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed when and as needed and labor cost objectives is met.
- Be knowledgeable of restaurant policies regarding personnel and administer prompt, fair and consistent action for any and all violations of company policies, rules, and procedures.
- Responsible and oversee the training of kitchen personnel in a safe operation of all kitchen equipment and utensils in addition to cleanliness and sanitation practices.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods, other equipment, and food storage areas.
- Check and maintain proper food handling and refrigeration temperature control.
- Provide safety training in first aid CPR, lifting and carrying objects and handling hazardous materials.
- Employment and termination recommendations and conduct interviews, evaluating and disciplining kitchen personnel as appropriate.
Minimum Knowledge, Abilities & Skills:
· Knowledge of cooking techniques
· Knowledge of kitchen operations
· Knowledge of sanitation and health requirements
· Demonstrated advance knife skills.
· Excellent organizational skills
· Excellent analytical skills
· Excellent communication skills
· Ability to work with others
· Ability to manage resources
Minimum Work Experiences & Training:
· Five (5) years work experience in various kitchen positions. (Inclusive food preparations, line cook, fry cook and expeditor).
· At least two (2) years of actual work experience in a high volume restaurant setting
· At least three(3) years supervisory work experience
· MUST be a high school graduate or GED equivalency
· Valid health certificate
· Must have a valid “Food Service Manager’s certificate
· Must have valid ABC card (management)
· Must be able to reach, bend, stoop, and frequently lift up to 50 lbs.
· Able to work in a standing position for long period of time (up to nine (9) hours)
· Must be able to work flexible hours
Pay Range Assignment:
· Reports directly to General Manager
· Reports indirectly to the owners