Nature of work in this class:
Employee in this classification is in a management level and is primary responsible for: Managing all aspects of the restaurant operations including the selection, development and performance management of restaurant employees, optimizing profits and increasing sales; manages scheduled shifts ensuring Jamaican Grill’s standards of serious food and serious service are met on a consistent basis.
Focus Words for position = People, Operations, Sales, Expenses, Profits
Listed below are the duties and responsibilities of the position:
- Manages ALL areas of operations for the front of the house including human resources, profitability, and sales growth, while ensuring Jamaican Grill’s standards of quality for product and services. Builds sales and controls costs.
- Manages ALL areas of operation for the back of the house including human resources, company’s food specifications and standardized recipes, cleanliness, storage and safety issues. Controls wastage and spoilage.
- Manages ALL areas of restaurant maintenance. This includes but not limited to scheduling, documentation, preventive maintenance, purchasing, and work directly with both in-house maintenance man and approved (by office) outside vendor list.
- Manages entire operation of restaurant during scheduled shifts which include daily decision making, staff support, guests interaction, scheduling, planning, while upholding standards, product quality, and cleanliness. Manages staffing throughout shift including when employees can check out for the day. Provides employees with positive and constructive feed back and takes appropriate actions. Ensures all employees adhere to the company’s uniform standards. Performs line checks throughout shifts.
- Provides direction to employees regarding operational and procedural issues.
- Ensures that restaurant is properly staffed to par, at all times using the company’s hiring practice interviews both management and hourly employees. Manages and schedule training as required. Conducts orientation and ensures ongoing development of staff. Conducts performance reviews every year with employees. Implements manpower plan for restaurant.
- Prepares reports at the end of the day, week and month which may include cashiers reports, daily sales reports, weekly labor reports end of the month reports maintenance reports, etc.
- Is prepared and organized for various meetings. This would include but not limited to training meetings, staff meetings, operational restaurant business meetings, and weekly meetings with owners.
- Ensures that proper cash handling procedures are followed with all cash-handling employees, from cashiers to supervisory staff. Balances cash on hand with end of day reports, petty cash, cashier drawers and in-house bank.
- Prepares daily food production and par as necessary ensuring restaurant never runs out of stock.
- Manages all check-in orders ensuring proper specs and quality are adhered to.
- Identifies operational opportunities; creates and implements plans to address these opportunities.
- Approves all food & beverage comps or promos.
- Ensures a safe working and guest environment to reduce the risk of injury and accidents. Completes accident reports promptly in the event a guest or employee is injured.
- Ensures that proper security procedures are in place to protect employees, guests, and company assets.
- Manages cost-control from items in back storage room and cleaning cabinet.
Minimum Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills required:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of management concepts & principles
- Strong supervisory/management skills
- Working knowledge and skills of planning, organizational and leadership
- Strong analytical, organizational & leadership skills
- Strong knowledge of basic human relations
- Ability to interpret labor laws, personnel rules & regulations
- Excellent working knowledge of restaurant operations
- Knowledgeable of basic concepts and principles of quality customer services
- Ability to relate successfully with guests and resolving issues & concerns
- Strong mathematical skills
- Knowledge of marketing and sales concepts and principles
- Ability to work under pressure for long period of time
- Keeps managers promptly and fully informed of all issues (i.e. problems, unusual matters of significance and positive events) and takes prompt corrective action where necessary or suggests alternative courses of action
- Completes job responsibilities and performance objectives in a timely and effective manner and in accordance with company policies and procedures
- Maintains a favorable working relationship with all company employees to foster and promote a cooperative and harmonious working climate which will be conducive to maximum employee moral, productivity and efficiency/effectiveness
- At all times provides a favorable image of Jamaican Grill’s to promote its aims and objectives and foster and enhance public recognition and acceptance of all of its area of endeavor
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required or requested
Minimum work Experience and Training:
Four (4) year graduate from a recognized college or university in the field of hotel/restaurant management, business administration, and or related fields preferred and or
Five (5) years work experience in the restaurant & food service industry,
Three (3) years of which must be in the supervisory/management role, or
Any combination of work experience and education.
· Valid health certificate
· Must have a valid “Food Service Manager’s certificate"
· Must have valid ABC card (management)
· Able to work in a standing position for long period of time (up to nine (9) hours.)
· Must be able to work flexible hours.
Must be able to coordinate multiple tasks while maintaining required standards of operation in daily restaurant activities. Must be able to determine applicability of experience and knowledge of Jamaican Grill’s policies and procedures to recommend appropriate solutions of restaurant operating problems.
Influence on Cost & Sales:
Adherence to company standards and service levels; and increase sales and minimize costs manages restaurant with annual sales of 1.5+M; Proper handling of guest’s complaints; increase staff productivity.
Position involves extensive interaction with the general public and all levels of the company organization. People skills are a must.
Reports directly to the owners of Jamaican Grill Restaurants
Negotiable depending on related work experience