SUMMARY: Under the direct supervision of the Customer Service Supervisor, the Customer Service Representative is responsible for booking/clearing outbound / inbound shipment (ocean/air) and Compiling documents on shipments to expedite removal of cargo from dock/airport and prepares billing for shipping charges.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Other duties may be assigned).
- Examines manifest, Bill of lading and Airway Bills to determine work procedures for releasing cargo.
- Notifies consignee or agent by telephone or letter of arrival dates of shipment, customs clearance requirements, and cargo availability and demurrage charges.
- Computes with the information provided from Bill of Lading and Airway Bills to generate various reports.
- Prepares billing reports and submits it to the accounting department for collection.
- Obtains cargo data from shipper such as cargo type, weight, measurement, destination, and shipping date, in order to determine the allocation of cargo and fully utilize the capacity of each shipment.
- Consults with ocean carriers and airlines to ascertain availability of cargo space.
- Provides customer(s) shipping details
- Informs shipper of carrier’s name on which cargo is booked, departure/arrival date, and cargo delivery date.
- Composes, types letters or correspondences from drafts and oral directives.
- Prepares quotes for customers.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED);
- One to three months related experience and/or training;
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets shipping tariffs and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide.
- Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement and volume.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Must be computer literate in operating MS Word, Excel, Power-point and Outlook.
- Must be able to read and respond to all incoming and outgoing email daily
- Ability to operate a typewriter, calculating machine, large capacity copier machine, and fax machine.
- Ability to adapt to frequent interruptions and changing of assignments with no advance notice.
- Must be flexible to work extended hours, weekends and holidays.
COMMENTS: This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their Manager. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
AMBYTH Shipping & Trading, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, political affiliation or status as a covered veteran including disabled veterans or veterans with service-connected disabilities in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.