The Commonwealth Utilities Corporation (“CUC”) is seeking for a qualified Chief Financial Officer (“CFO”). CUC is a public utility corporation located on the island of Saipan in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (“CNMI”)—a United States territory in the northwestern Pacific Ocean.
The CNMI is a tropical paradise of fourteen islands. In the CNMI you can escape to a place of magnificent beaches and crystal clear aqua waters, and rich history. Saipan offers year-round outdoor activities, world class diving and golfing, international shopping, a range of ethnic restaurants and a cacophony of indigenous and international cultures.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND OPPORTUNITY OFFERED:
Reporting directly to CUC’s Executive Director (“ED”) or designee, the Chief Financial Officer (“CFO”) works directly with the Deputy Executive Director (“DED”). The CFO fills a position required by the Stipulated Order (“SO”) of the United States of America vs. the Commonwealth Utilities Corporation and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern Mariana Islands, Civil Case No. CV 08-0051. The Corporation is seeking a dynamic, experienced professional with strong collaborative leadership skills and demonstrated expertise in all areas of municipal and utility finance.
- Responsible for the overall accounting, budgeting, and financial operations of CUC.
- Supervises financial professionals and support staff to include: prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staffs are trained; and, making hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
- Maintains the financial and budget records and accounts for monthly and annual reporting of CUC.
- Performs financial, budget and rate analyses of operations and revenues; makes recommendations for adjustments to rates.
- Develops, implements and enforces financial and budget policies and procedures.
- Directing preparation, analysis, implementation, and monitoring of the utilities’ financial reporting and budget process.
- Prepares complex financial and budget reports and special reports as requested by the Board and ED supervising and interpreting study results, including cost of service studies.
- Schedules and coordinates annual audits with independent contractors.
- Prepares monthly and an annual financial report of the financial condition of CUC.
- Plans, implements and monitors short and long-term goals for the department and CUC.
- Debt management, issuance and administration.
- Other duties of a similar nature or level as assigned or required
Successful candidates for CUC’s Chief Financial Officer must have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, economics, financial management, public or business administration from a United States accredited institution or one with equivalent accreditation.
- Ten (10) years of professional experience in governmental or financial accounting, including experience in a supervisory and/or management position.
- Certification and Licensing:
- A Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant is required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a CNMI driver’s license of the appropriate class upon hire is required.
- Must demonstrate the following:
- Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, as well as Financial Accounting Standards Board and Government Accounting Standards Board pronouncements and interpretations, auditing principles, and utility rate structures and rate setting principles and methods;
- Working knowledge of automated financial systems and programs to manage all aspects of reporting, personnel management and training;
- General knowledge of utility operations, debt collection practices, and limitations.
- Knowledge of:
- Supervisory principles;
- Managerial and leadership principles;
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles or other applicable laws, rules and regulations;
- Budgetary principles;
- Financial principles;
- Mathematical principles.
- Skill in:
- Monitoring and evaluating staff;
- Prioritizing and assigning work to staff;
- Applying Federal, State, and/or Local laws, rules, and regulations;
- Applying accounting procedures and principles;
- Developing and implementing procedures and standards;
- Analyzing accounting transactions;
- Preparing and analyzing financial statements, budgets and reports;
- Establishing internal control and compliance systems and information systems;
- Conducting cost-benefit analysis;
- Preparing annual reports;
- Estimating costs for projects;
- Analyzing and setting rates;
- Using computers and related software applications;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
RELOCATION EXPENSES: If hired from outside the CNMI, relocation expenses are negotiable; but they are not to exceed $5,000.00 for moving to Saipan and not to exceed $5,000.00 for moving away from Saipan. Receipts will be required for justification. Other conditions may be applicable.
SUBMISSION PROCESS: Please submit (1) a cover letter, (2) a resume, (3) a list of references, and (4) a CUC Employment Application by one of the following means:
- United States Postal Service, First Class Mail or Priority Mail*:
Human Resource Office
Commonwealth Utilities Corporation
P. O. Box 501220
Saipan, MP 96950-1220 USA
*If you choose to submit via USPS, please still also fax “or” email “or” drop off your package.
- Fax: 670-235-5133
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drop Off: Drop off your package at the CUC Human Resource Office located on the 3rd Floor of the Joeten Dandan Building on Saipan. Otherwise, you may drop it off at the CUC Tinian or Rota Administration Office.
POLICIES: The Commonwealth Utilities Corporation is an equal opportunity provider and employer and will not discriminate or tolerate discrimination against any employee or applicant in any manner prohibited by law.
It is also the policy of CUC to achieve a drug-free workplace and persons selected for employment will be required to pass a drug test which screens for illegal drug use prior to final appointment.